Thursday, August 30, 2007

Archives-Happy Independence Day 7/5/2007

July 5, 2007

Ok, so I'm a day late. Yesterday G wasn't into the family thing--nothing stands in the way of volleyball, you know--so I went to my mom's with Ang. His volleyball people had a cookout at Hillsmere beach, which would be nice if I wouldn't be "alone" there. He seemed kind of offended that I didn't want to go...but he would have ignored the lot of us, except for the five minutes every couple hours that it would take him to inhale a hot dog. So, what difference would it make if I was there or not? It would have been me, hanging with the kids all day with no help and not much fun of my own. So...Mom's sounded like more fun. Her pool was frigid, so we sat around drinking mojitos while the kids jumped in and out of the baby pool a thousand times. Mom made burgers, and Ang made teriyaki and jerk (not together) chicken. I love me some jerk chicken. The tomatoes and corn and chipotle pasta salad were so good, too. And then the rain came, so we put on Cars and the kids assumed the position in front of the tv. Collin passed out and missed dinner entirely. G came along eventually, and we hemmed and hawed about going to see fireworks. It wasn't exactly an ideal night for viewing them, what with the storms and muggy-buggy dampness. At the last minute, we decided to go to our favorite viewing spot, which is the former Annapolis Overlook (now the WWII Memorial). Well, apparently the rain wasn't keeping anyone away, because we had to park way down the road and walk down the hill to see the fireworks, which had already started. We probably walked for 10 minutes (ok, maybe five to seven, but it sure felt like it). I was wearing uncomfortable sandals, I had to pee, and I was carrying the sleeping 27lb Booah, and G kept asking me why I couldn't walk any faster. SIGH. I'm old and fat, and aerobically challenged, that's why. Anyway, we got there and saw about 3 minutes of fireworks before the grande finale, and that was it...then had to trek back up the hill. I promised the kids a better fireworks experience next year, although they didn't seem too disappointed.
This weekend, my mom will have her annual 4th of July party, so thanks to my redneck relatives, there will be another fireworks display. They go all out. There will also be glow sticks, sparklers, and poppers. I miss childhood, I so used to look forward to those things every year. Sunday we are doing the zoo, with G's place of employment. That should be fun. I wish they'd actually close the zoo to the public, so as to limit other visitors. It would be nice to avoid the crowds, since it's supposed to be ungodly hot. I remember one trip to New Orleans, we wanted to visit the Audubon zoo with our friends...we get there, it was 100 degrees with 100% humidity (as it usually is in New Orleans), and the frickin' zoo was closed. It was Bank of America day or something-some big company was having their employee even there. We kept saying, How can you close the zoo?! Well, I wish they would.
I took the kids bowling on Tuesday. That was fun, except when it was my turn, I would get up to the foul line, and the pin resetter thing would come down and sweep the pins...I'd turn around, and there was the baby, pushing the button over and over again...looking at me with that little impish smirk on his face. That, and it took ten whole minutes for the baby's ball to reach the pins, if it ever did. A couple of times we just gave up and I rolled another ball down to push the first one.
Time to go straighten the living room, after the little tornados that are my children! I hope you all had a nice 4th.

No comments: