Thursday, August 30, 2007

Archives- Summer Colds, Vacations and Birthdays 6/1/2007

June 1, 2007

I'm sick as hell again. I hate a summer cold. I'm debating on calling out of work today, because I can't breathe, I'm coughing and sneezing, and I have no voice. What the heck is the use in trying to help people and communicate with them, when all you can do is sneeze on them?
My baby turned two last weekend. He was extra cute at his party, and didn't even have a typical two-year-old-tantrum. I can't believe he's already two. He started asking questions (just three-word phrases), and he chatters non-stop, repeating everything I say like a little mynah bird. He still has the longest eye lashes I have ever seen.
Mexico was wonderful. I want to go back. The food was great, the unlimited beverages were so nice (although we did have to ask for Bacardi or Cuervo; otherwise we got the rail crap). We learned some new drinks-tequila boom-boom, Scooby Doo, Isla de Coco. It was absolutely beautiful...calm, crystal blue waters to sea kayak in, lush landscaping to stroll through, gorgeous weather. We visited the Mayan ruins at Tulum, which is also right on the Caribbean. That was stunning and our tour guide Pepe was very interesting, for history nerds like me. We also visited Xel-Ha, a (natural) ecological water park, where we snorkeled, saw cenotes (caves with rivers running through), animals, and more scenery. Drinks and food were included there, too, although I forgot to request Bacardi in 4 of my pina coladas, and got virgin ones. There's a good 1000 calories, wasted.
It was so nice to be there, in paradise, and not have to worry about my kids, but I must admit that I missed them horribly. It was so cool to be able to drink all day long, not have to worry about driving anywhere, not have to worry, period. But I missed sharing my experience with G. I wrote a million postcards, explaining everything I had done and seen (and they have yet to arrive...I expect to see Pedro riding up on his burro with them any day now). During the day, I felt as though I could stay another month...but at night, I would be lonely for my family.
Anyway, we enjoyed nightly "shows". One was a latino dance production which rivaled Dancing With the Stars. It was really good, honestly! The other one was hours of Queen videos, which I wanted to run screaming from. I'm not a fan of Freddie Mercury, I can't even stand to look at him. Another was Italian night (which we figured out after 5-10 minutes of not understanding a thing), during which they had a rewards ceremony for karaoke (which we missed), and an Italian improv. Hey, it was free. Sometimes I felt like I was at the Shelldrake from Dirty Dancing.
The people there were so friendly and eager to please. We met a couple of cool bartenders and servers-Ives, Ruben, and Belisario. My sister and I had a blast; I'm really glad that she went with us. It wouldn't have been the same without her.
Anyway, back to the old grind. I made a batch of yogurt last night, and colored it blue because my children like the artificial crap. Well, the food coloring must not have agreed with the cultures, because it was this nasty, grey-ish, separated mess this morning (so I immediately dumped all 42oz of it down the drain). I tried again this morning, this time with plain, white, vanilla. I'm going to attempt to build a lasagna completely from scratch (ok, so I'm not making the pasta) in a few minutes. The baby has learned that he is strong enough to lift the toilet lid with one hand, and empty the wastebasket into the toilet with the other. Last night, after my middle son's bath, he asked me about the part under his penis-why it has that kind of skin, why there's stuff that you can move around in there, etc. I explained to him what they were, and gave my husband's explanation of balls...God had a little extra elbow skin left over, so he put some down there. My husband says it helps you run faster. Ah, it's good to be home.

No comments: