Thursday, August 30, 2007

Archives-I'm Back! 5/3/2007

May 3, 2007

So, Florida, for the most part, was great. I really enjoyed spending time with my family. And my mother-in-law (hereafter referred to as MIL) was actually pretty tolerable. There were a couple of times where she got way past crocked, but it was ok.
The flight there was great--everything went smoothly, the children were great, etc. We even received comments from others about how good our children were. We rented a mini-van, and there has been mutiny in my family-every one of them now insists that I abandon my beloved truck and get a minivan. I must admit, it was a little nice. They're uglier than crap, and I hate the stigma associated with them, but this minivan was cool for the staggered, stow-and-go seating, the rear heat and air, and the Sirius satellite radio. I do feel the pull of the minivan. And to be quite honest, I'd like to have something newer...my truck is starting to worry me. It has nearly 150k miles and is 10 years old now...which means the transmission is probably not healthy any more, and I KNOW that it needs a tuneup ASAP...who knows what else.
Anyway, the flight home was not so great. G took the older two to the bathroom, and while they were in there, they called pre-boarding. Then boarding A, B, and C. Finally, when they called final boarding, here they come. I was nearly in a panic. Of course we didn't get to sit together, and other travelers had to be bribed with alcohol to move so that I could sit with my children. The baby was a crazy person on the way home, and I could not wait to get on the ground. You can bet that I said yes, when the flight attendant asked if I wanted a drink...a couple of times! Not to mention the two margaritas I had in the Tampa airport.
While in FL, we had a lot of fun. We went by boat to a nearby island in the gulf where there were plenty of shells and space for the kids to run in the surf...and the waves are gentle enough that they don't get knocked down. We visited the fishing/shopping/Greek village of Tarpon Springs. That was ok, but I've been there before and really don't need any more sponges, thank you. However, I did manage to still drop $50 at a shell shop.
We barbecued, ate drank, swam in the pool...found a great coffee shop called Insomniacs...and, unfortunately, took my MIL's advice as to which bar to check out. It was good for people watching, at least. Old-people watching! My littlest son emptied all the rocks out of MIL's plants...into her pool! The middle son learned to swim a little. We took the babies to Disney, which was fun, but a little disorganized. We didn't get as much done there as we would have liked. And of course, that was the hottest day. And my poor red-haired daughter, despite the hat and slathering 50 SPF sunblock on her every half an hour...she still managed to get burned.
Two weeks till Mexico. And my passport finally came while I was gone!!! My mom and sister still don't have theirs, though *sigh*. I can't believe it's only two weeks. I'm sad to leave my babies and my honey, especially after all the fun we just had together. But man, I can't wait.
Anyone up for a fire for Cinco de Mayo?

No comments: