Thursday, August 30, 2007

Archives-Hot in the City 7/9/2007

July 9, 2007

So, yesterday we went to the zoo, as G's place of employment had their regional picnic there. It was so very, very hot. While we were sitting beneath a tent, which was in the shade of those huge old trees, and the breeze was blowing, and we were not moving a muscle, it wasn't too bad. Otherwise it was pretty relentless. I'm pretty sure Baltimore City was 10 degrees hotter than my home here in the 'burbs. We missed some of the animals, at least I think we did...but it was so hot (and we'd had enough fun) that I really didn't care when 4:00 came. I miss the old Baltimore Zoo with the victorian iron cages and quaint feel. I understand that it's now on lease to the state, so it's now the Maryland Zoo at Baltimore, and the state has invested millions in the overhaul and upgrade of the zoo, creating habitats rather than just cages. That's a nice idea for the well-being of the animals, but I do miss the cages. Let's face it, a zoo is hardly animal friendly. They're still wild animals, taken out of their natural habitats and kept in captivity unnaturally. Some are born there, yes, but still...I just miss the cages.
Anyway...we stopped by my mom's on the way home and ate more cookout food, which was so fabulous. We went swimming and had more mojitos. I think that because I was so dehydrated from the 100-degree heat, the mojitos really packed a punch. I only had three, but it felt like six. Then we went cruisin'. I drove the Bus (as in, VW, 1973) with the boys, and G drove the Karmann Ghia with Cam. My stepfather & mom drove his '64 Fairlane, and we all went to Bruster's for ice cream. I was a good girl and got the [slightly better for you] frozen yogurt, but caved and got the peanut butter & hot fudge toppings. That has to be my favorite thing in the world. I don't know if I'll ever get used to the European pedals in the Bus, which push straight down instead of back. G joked that I nearly ran him down, coming up the driveway. G converted that Bus from automatic to manual, God knows why...and the gears have been ever elusive. Not to mention that reverse is down-left-back. That and the need to toe-heel it, so that it won't stall at low speeds (so that you can have feet on clutch, brake and gas all at the same time), and the "Volkswagen supplemental braking system"...which is the chock you put behind the tires to keep it in the driveway. We thought it was strong enough to stay, at one point, until the across-the-street neighbor came over to tell us that she had rolled down the drive and across the road to his house, possibly into oncoming traffic. She is Herbie's big brother, you know.
Well, time to see about building another lasagna. I don't feel like making my own sauce this time, nor do I have the time. I do, however, feel like making fresh garlic bread. Mmmm.
Have a good week.

No comments: