Thursday, August 30, 2007

Archives-Same Old Same Old 5/5/2007

May 5, 2007

Well, the peace of a vacation never seems to last long. G even commented on how much more relaxed we were when dealing with our children, etc. My daughter has been driving me crazy lately. I mean, I don't know what to do with her! She is defiant, lazy, disregards everything I say, etc., etc. I know, I know, that's her job...but I didn't raise her to be this way! And she's not even a teenager yet. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and every time I look at her, I remember the sweet angel she used to be, and I just feel that I have failed. And I think, my God, I have to go through this again, two times over.
Our big screen tv died. It is truly a dinosaur, and is still taking up [plenty of] real estate in the living room. It's one of those giants that is built into a huge wooden cabinet. We probably have some vehicles that weigh less than this thing, and I'm quite sure I don't know how they ever got it up our front steps. Anyway, it's got to go. A few months ago, it crapped out in this same fashion (I don't claim to know what's wrong with it), and G mended it. I am wondering if he could do it again, and it would hold out long enough to get $100 for the thing or something. So anyway, we're going to have to get a new tv. I wanted a flat panel, hung on the wall, but G rationalized that due to us also having a Fios box, home theatre, etc...all that will still need some place to live. So it makes sense to get one of the DLPs, instead (and save some money in the process). That's fine with me. But I'm still not keen to get rid of a grand.
On the other hand, G is up for a promotion. I think he's a shoo-in; now it's just about the numbers. He stands to get the break he's been working so hard for, and I really hope he does, for many reasons. One, he deserves it. Many a family event he spent behind a laptop or on a call. Many times he worked from home, worked late, whatever. He's been diligent and focused and has never once missed a beat since he started. Not to mention that the financial side of it would obviously be very nice. Especially since everyone in the family is now in the market for a new minivan (can you hear my sigh?). His raise, if he gets the projected amount, would almost equal my annual salary, so although I don't plan on leaving the work force, the thought has crossed my mind. I'd probably only be shooting myself in the foot, though, really. I'm well compensated for what I do. I have a good amount of tenure. I have a pension AND a 401k, for God's sake. If I left the work force now, despite benefits to my family, it would probably make it much more difficult for me to rejoin the work force later. And I might go crazy, being home even MORE.
I'm looking forward to our fire tonight. Viva el Cinco de Mayo. Or something like that.

No comments: