Thursday, August 30, 2007

Archives-Back to School 8/28/2007

August 28, 2007

So, Monday morning, the mothers of our area were at once wistful and breathing a collective sigh of relief. Yes, back-to-school time has arrived. My oldest, my only daughter, has returned to the same elementary school I attended. I can hardly convince myself that she's really in third grade. I keep telling myself that she'll really remember stuff from here on out (well, I've been telling myself that for some time now). The first day went pretty smoothly. She was apprehensive, but quickly grew comfortable with the familiarities. This morning, however, was another story.
See, it's been a hectic few days. We were at the beach last week, and arrived home Saturday evening. After unpacking the truck, putting everything away, and doing laundry, I was already worn out. Sunday, we had a picnic and went on a nice, couple-mile hike at Patapsco State Park. That was truly nice, except that we failed to remain on the correct trail and walked WAY out of our way. So, since we had the two little boys with us, and Cam was in flip-flops, I was pretty unnerved that we would not readily find our way back. Eventually we did, a little tired, but fine. I have NO idea how my youngest son walked that far; he's only two, after all. He's sturdy.
Anyway, so then Monday we returned to our School Schedule, which means getting up at around 6:30 rather than 10:00. That sucks. And Cam is not the easiest person in the morning. Neither am I, so we honestly make a terrible pair. I'm usually very short-tempered and want to be left alone; she usually spends considerable time verbalizing her displeasure at having awakened so early and having to get ready, and very little time actually getting ready. That usually results in frenzied anger for me, trying to get her dressed, fed, brushed, and shoved out the door. It's just not pleasant, but the first day went well.
And then there was today. Last night, I went to see Aaron Lewis play his Have Guitar, Will Travel show at Ram's Head Live. Angie, Mom (yes, my mom likes Staind-a lot), and Angie's friend/co-worker Lou went, too. I'm so glad Angie bought me the ticket, it was really, really good. However, as usual, I stood right next to the obligatory Venue Jackass. A big man, he could already see better than most. But since we were standing on the rail upstairs, he found it necessary not only to lean out over the rail, but to put his hand on his hip so that his elbow jutted out into the sight path of many, my lucky self included. SIGH. We protested his inconsideration loud enough for him to hear. My sister tapped his arm. My mother flicked her beer on him, which prompted our uproarious laughter for about ten minutes. He just would not budge for the ENTIRE show. So, to my sister's concern, I spent the better half of the show with my head on my arm, laying on the rail. She was sure I was about to pass out drunk, but really I was peering through the crook of his arm. The show was so good. Angie decided it would be in her best interest not to drive, so we ended up summoning her roomate to cart us home. I can't believe Angie left her car in the city, but kudos to her for knowing she was polluted enough that she should not drive.
Needless to say, it was a late night. And then Collin had a nosebleed in the middle of the night, so I had to get up for that, with my head still a little woozy. When the alarm went off, my eyes were sure it was two hours earlier. And then my beloved child gave me all sorts of hell, barely making it to the bus stop in time. G couldn't understand why I was "speaking harshly". See, it seems to me that it's only fair that G does a share of this morning duty. He did stay up later than me last night (God knows why), but I'm also a bit peeved that I was "punished" for going to the show. I was left a lovely sink full of dishes, dirty kids' clothes all over the bathroom and living room, etc. You ladies ever get the same treatment when you go out? Hmph. Despite my resentful feelings today, I offered to "let" him go to volleyball tonight. He didn't get to play while we were at the beach, and didn't get to play last night, since I went to the show. He also won't be able to take the kids to the park on Wednesday evenings, since they're on School Schedule. See, unlike him, I get that he needs to have recreational time. He's not an afterthought, I do actually consider his needs. He should probably take the example and run with it.
Anyway...our week at the beach was good, but too short, and it rained to much. Back to the same old grind. Come on, June 12.

No comments: