Thursday, August 30, 2007

Archives-Melissa's Luck is Rubbing Off On Me 8/10/2007

August 10, 2007

First the whole wisdom tooth thing, this week. I'm still not over it...it still hurts like hell and ibuprofen is my only friend right now. Not to mention that I've been dwelling on having them removed, which will have to occur within the next month or so. I have already expressed that if I could trade this for another surgery, I would...but I need to just suck it up and get over it. At least I will only have to go through it once, and then I won't have to worry about the little bastards anymore.
So, I was just thinking, man, it's hot in my kitchen, which doesn't make sense because the only thing going is the crock pot, and that doesn't put off much heat. A few minutes later, I picked up the baby to change him, and he was all sweaty. So on my way to the changing table, I glanced at the thermostat. 78 degrees. Hmm, that's funny, it's set on 75. Maybe even 74. I felt the vent, which was barely putting out any air at all, and it was barely cool. I called G at work, who instructed me how to take apart the A/C unit to see if it was frozen and whether the filter needs to be changed. It was, and it does. SIGH. Since I am not willing to turn on the heater, and can't possibly stand in the basement holding a hair dryer to it for an hour, what with all these kids running amok, I'm forced to let it melt on its own...and suffer in the process. And G couldn't understand why I was irritated that he removed the light (just a drop light) from the utility side of the basement, thereby enabling me to see NOTHING. I had to use one of those stupid flashlights that you shake...ever seen one of those? They put out maybe one candle's worth of light after you shake it for 40 minutes. Ok, so I'm exaggerating, but I have learned two things today...I should probably put "change the filter" on my calendar, the first day of each month. And I should probably also go BACK to the Target and pick up a big box fan and a decent flashlight. This is a good excuse for me to go shopping, right?
I was JUST thinking how grateful I am to have air conditioning. At least we have ceiling fans in most rooms downstairs. At least it's not a 100 degree day today, only 91. At least the entire unit's not broken, forcing me to spend thousands. And at least I get to go to work tonight. I already called my mom and told her she'll probably want to take the kids to her house tonight. Ah, modern conveniences. It's so hard to imagine life without them, isn't it?

No comments: