Monday, March 31, 2008

Back to Reality

We arrived home from the beach a little while ago. As soon as I opened the door, the phone rang and it was my mom. We had planned to go down to the Inlet to mess around on the boardwalk before leaving, but the idea was scrubbed because it was so cold and windy, and because the kids already got souvenirs. My mother had called to say that right about the time we were leaving (and would have been going to the boardwalk), there was a 9 alarm fire to which 21 fire companies responded, which destroyed Dough Roller, some t-shirt place, and part of Marty’s Playland. All I could think was, oh no, the claw machines!

This weekend went pretty well. G and I got along fairly well, except the time he told me I was oppressive (he claims he was kidding). Remember how I said one unseasonably warm day wouldn’t hurt? Well, God delivered...it was a good 75 degrees on Friday, and I was acutally sweaty on the beach while walking in my jeans and sweater. It was therapy! I even saw one silly girl in her bathingsuit. Saturday and today, though, back to normal-wind and cold! We had a pretty good time...helped out with the youth group, and it’s always good to see our old friends there. MJ went down, too, so we got to hang out with her a little. We ate at Tequila Mockingbird, which I LOVE (thanks, MJ)! My only complaint was that I didn’t get to have any Thrasher’s fries or Dumser’s mint chocolate chip ice cream...but I guess there’s always later in the summer.

There were lots of funny things this weekend...Cameron calling the hotel a "ho-towel", Noah calling the elevator an "alligator", and the fact that we were so disgusted with our bent-frame terrible hotel bed that we took the mattress off and put it on the floor. It didn’t cave in any more, but it didn’t make it much more comfortable, either. I’m really looking forward to sleeping in my Beautyrest tonight! However, it, too, is worn out and we really need to look into getting a new one. I am pushing hard for a king this time (we have a queen, now). G thinks it will take up too much space in our room, but I think if we downsize our nightstands (they are huge), it will fit nicely. On the other hand, that would require buying a whole new bedroom set. Ah, yes...here I go...

So, the minivan has had her first roadtrip with our family. No on puked in it, thank God, and most of the mess has already been cleaned out of it, even. I do have to take it to the car wash to rinse all the salt off of it. It was really very comfortable, and even though I thought I wouldn’t, I fit everything in nicely. However, when we go to Myrtle Beach for an entire week, obviously there will be more stuff. I don’t know how that’s going to pan out. I am pretty sure we’re going to have to get a "turtle"...you know, the big storage container that goes on the roof of the vehicle. G is sure that it will kill the gas mileage, but who cares...I’d rather have that and be able to see out the back window.

Cameron had her first soccer game this evening. What a fiasco. She was on one team, then another coach called and said she’d been put on his team...I told him he needed to get with the first coach and figure it out...the second coach called me back to say that she should stay on the first team. Well, now they’re saying she’s supposed to be on the other team (even after she’s already practiced with her first team, and frankly, the first coach is nicer and doesn’t have a cultural identity issue like the second one does). The first coach insisted that she play with them tonight, which I thought was very nice. We’re supposed to hear from the soccer commissioner as to whether she stays with the good team or has to move to Coach Gangsta Wannabe’s team. I already know I’m going to have issues if she does have to switch teams.

Anyway, so it’s back to the same old thing tomorrow. I’ve been so busy that I don’t feel like I got a break at all...but it was nice not to do dishes or laundry and stuff for a few days. G was supposed to be off work tomorrow, but he has decided not to be, for whatever idiot reason. He was saying how he has so much time to take off this year, if he doesn’t start scheduling it soon, he’s going to lose it. I swear, I think he has a workwife that he can’t wait to get back to or something. And please God, let him take the Guitar Hero back to Ed.

I hope you all have a great week.

1 comment:

daphne said...

I will be waiting on the edge of my seat until Cam's fate is decided by the Soccer Commissioner. Girls in cleats rule!!