Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Middle of thRoad, Please

For weeks, my son has been holding his poo. Yep, that's right...he's anal retentive. It started out as a little bit of constipation. A little poop that hurt a little bit, and he thought, the hell with that, I'm not doing that again! Behold, a vicious cycle was born. It hurt to go, so he held and held until it got too big and REALLY hurt. Then he'd absolutely be forced to go, and that would confirm in his little mind that he no longer desired to defecate. I tried increasing fluids, eliminating milk and adding juices, fruits, and fiber, but he still held. Eventually I even had to give him a suppository a few times (he would hold for as long as possible after THAT, even). I gave him a baby laxative four times...he still held. I read about such toddler issues online, and decided a trip to the doctor was in order. I pretty much knew that he would prescribe Miralax (he did) and that my son would be on it to both regulate him and to make him forget that pooping sometimes hurts. Well, he's pooped seven times since dinner last night. Once would have sufficed. Now it seems that if something enters his mouth, something must be discarded. The doctor said that I could reduce his dosage to half, or every other day. I think I may do half, every other day.

See, I'm not looking for the perfect relationship. They all have their ups and downs, right? A moderate level of happiness, trust, security and contentment would do. I would be ok with that. I'm not looking for wealth beyong imagination. Comfort, again, would be fine. And yes, one poop a day would be fine.

Right now, I would like to be in the middle of the road. I'm done with the roller coaster, and I'm done with polar opposites. Sometimes it's not so bad to lead an average life, eh?

No comments: