Monday, March 10, 2008

MILs and Caffeine Withdrawal

The MIL (mother-in-law) missed our re-wedding in December because her mother was sick, so she had an open round-trip ticket. She said she would come in March. Well, she made her arrangements, only she wasn't flying in to BWI...she was flying in to Philadelphia, so that she could go visit my brother-in-law (hereafter referred to as the BIL). Well, we thought that was a little rude, but whatever. Then she decided to fly into Philadelphia, but leave from BWI...but someone would still need to go pick her up from NJ. SIGH. First she said they could drive her halfway, and therefore I offered to pick her up at the Chesapeake House on 95. Then my BIL and SIL said they could not drive her down, not even halfway. SO, G would have to go pick her up after work, a five hour round trip. Or, take the day off and go get her. Ridiculous. She said she had to go to NJ first because she had to work (she works for my SIL). Well, she could work from home, no? Furthermore, she said she could not afford to take off work for an entire week, but then proceeded to tell me how she'd just taken off four days to go to Pensacola with some friends. Anyway, G agreed to go pick her up in NJ, something that irritated me. Truthfully, I saw no diplomatic way around it, but why should he bend over backwards for a mother whose life he's never been a part of?

And then she canceled. She had her husband (G's stepfather) call and say she would not be coming, because it didn't make sense to visit us if she was going to NJ...or something like that. And then she decided to fly into BWI tomorrow, and leave Sunday. I said that would be fine, I could pick her up whenever, as long as it didn't interfere with school. And then she canceled that trip. Said she felt like there was a problem, that it wasn't a good time to visit. Then she reinstated her original trip to NJ anyway. Then she changed her mind AGAIN, and decided she will borrow a car from my BIL and drive down to our house for the weekend.

Can I scream now?

What I think she wants is for G to call her and beg her to come...to make her feel reassured and wanted. Well, he's been wanting her to be part of his life all this time...if she can't see that, it's her own fault.

So, I've been trying to give up my caffeine addiction, because it tends to fuel my anxiety. It sucks. I don't have withdrawal every day, just after I've had caffeine. The only caffeine I had was a tiny bit of a latte yesterday. Today, I'm getting a cold, and I have a headache...the coffee would do wonders. But then, especially what with the MIL situation, I just might be on the ceiling.

G just called me and asked me if I wanted to go look at a mini-van tonight. In Bel Air. With the kids. I'm sorry, but I don't think hungry children at a car dealership an hour away at dinner time is a good idea. Besides, I have a nice pork roast that is waiting for the oven. Again, the pressure of the mini-van. Why right this minute? Why tonight? I don't understand that boy.

No comments: