Thursday, March 27, 2008

Breakfast on the Run and Weekend Plans

There are few things I like better than a Chick-Fil-A chicken biscuit for breakfast. Every once in a while, I have to treat myself, and since I had to have bloodwork done this morning, what better time than after my "fast" (hah, yeah right, I simply hadn’t eaten breakfast yet). It’ll do wonders for my cholesterol, I’m sure, but man, they are so good.

We are going to the beach today, so I’m excited. Shame the weather won’t cooperate. Why did it have to be warmer in December than it is now? One freak 70 degree day isn’t too much to ask. Anyway, I have a million things to do before we go, including pack for everyone in the house. My husband, God love him, has screwed me yet again. He didn’t put his laundry in the laundry room, favoring instead to create a small mountain on the floor beside the bed. I cautioned him against doing so a couple of days ago. Yesterday, I also asked him several times whether he had packed, or if he planned to bring any clothes with him. He flat out said he hoped that I would pack for him. See, here’s where he knows he has me: he knows I’ll do it, because I would like to leave as soon as he gets home from work. Therefore, if I don’t do it, I’ll have to wait for him, and he will most assuredly take his sweet time. SIGH. I could just leave withouth him, I suppose, but who wants to deal with that can of worms?

It’s amazing, the amount of stuff a parent must carry with them when traveling with small children. I do tend to overpack, but when I have packed less, I have needed more. If I only packed one outfit for each day, the child has invariably had a diaper blow-out or got ridiculously wet or messy. If I didn’t pack allergy medicines and ibuprofen, the child got a fever in the middle of the night. If I didn’t bring a pack & play, the hotel ran out of them, or forgot to put it in the room. I find it’s better to just go ahead and bring the whole house, despite the protests of my husband. See, to him, packing the car is an artform. I say, if you have that much time to spend arranging, you have time to do your own laundry and pack your own stuff. Needless to say, I plan to pack the car by the time he gets home, so we won’t have that wait, too. And then there’s the space issue in the minivan. I’m used to having a big "butt" on my vehicle in which to stow lots of stuff...the aforementioned pack & play, the stroller, the suitcases and snacks...in the minivan, I just don’t have what I’m used to, and that’s going to be a struggle. However, it will be really nice and really QUIET on the ride to the beach, what with each kid having their own dvd player and headphones. No more screaming, hitting, stealing toys, etc. Now, if only we will have such luck when we go to Myrtle Beach this summer.

I’m hoping not to fight with my beloved husband today, or even this weekend. Traveling with the children tends to make us (or maybe just me) a little edgy. I tend to want things done my way (because I know best, of course, being the mother and all). I tend to get irritated when I don’t get my way...like the leaving on time thing. If we leave late, then the children don’t go to bed until late, and they’re a wreck the next day. However, he just thinks he’s on vacation, so he doesn’t have to hurry for anything. It’s that focus on only himself without considering the effect on the rest of us that makes me want to choke him. Hopefully, things will just go smoothly.

On that note, I really should pack so that I can follow my own plans! It’s only three days, right?

No comments: