Monday, March 17, 2008

Uneventful

Well, the MIL came and went without much to-do. Really, her visit went well. We ate out more than usual, which is nice for me...and she’s the type to help clean up and stuff, so that was nice, too. Her incessant commenting during movies and phony hyper-praising got on my nerves as always, but it was pretty tolerable. Her worst visits have always been when her husband came with her. We even had a fairly deep discussion about religion last night. The kids really enjoyed her visit. I’m just glad it’s over and we can go back to "normal", whatever that may be.

So, we went to talk to the sales people about a deal on the minivan we liked. As soon as we pulled up, we saw that another three-kid family had just arrived and was looking at the same van. We lurked around the lot as they got the keys, checked it out, and went for a test-drive. It was pretty pointless, but we went in to see what kind of deal they would offer us, but I knew the other people were going to buy it. First of all, the list price was decent, considering the book value. And while there was nothing "wrong" with them, the other family just seemed to not be quite as savvy as we might be regarding used vehicle purchase. It turns out that they only offered me $1k for my truck, and nothing off the price. Why should they, they had another eager family whose rugrats were already climbing all over the thing? Oh well, it just wasn’t meant to be, and that’s ok.

Right on cue, however, my truck began small signs of protest. She knows her days are numbered, her feelings are hurt, and she’s going to give me a hard time in the next couple of weeks. She didn't want to start (more than usual), and the trip odometer got stuck...so it made an annoying click which I couldn't figure out for quite a while. Then it overheated...or maybe not, the temperature guage was just going crazy because there was so little coolant in it (that's a boy's job, and that boy hasn't been doing his job). Anyway, there is another I might go look at tomorrow, in Reisterstown. That’ll be a fun drive with the boys. The price listed on that one is not too bad, either, so it depends how much they’ll move on it, as well as how much they would give me for my truck. I know I would likely be able to sell my truck outright for quite a bit more than the dealer would give me, but it’s just not something I want to do right now. Trying to answer questions and field calls and potential buyers while looking after my children and juggling my own schedule...eh. Not to mention if my truck would sell before I find a minivan. Fun, fun. I would like to find a new vehicle before I go to the beach at the end of the month. At least then I wouldn’t have to worry about problems on the way down and back (except my incredibly motion-sick child on my new leather seats).

I can’t believe Easter is this weekend. I am not at all ready for the festivities...my eggs are not filled, my treats are not ready to go in the baskets. My house isn’t even decorated, which makes me kinda sad. I am, however, glad that the daffodils and crocuses are up, and that spring is on its way. This cold weather keeps hanging on, but with Daylight Savings, I’m really encouraged. It won’t be long. Now I just have to figure out what to do with my kids while Cam is off school this week. We will have to think of stuff to do so that boredom and insanity and fighting doesn’t ensue.

Guess I’d better go see about dinner...it’s not going to cook itself!

No comments: