Friday, April 4, 2008

Inflation

Last time I saw REM was in 1989 (shut up) at Merriweather Post Pavilion.  I think we paid something like $19 or maybe even as much as $25 for lawn seats.  Well, I got an update from Ticketmaster this morning, and saw that they are coming back to Merriweather, 19 years later.  A few grey hairs formed instantly on my head, as I tried to get my brain around the idea that it has been practically two decades since that muddy day, in the aftermath of hurricane Hugo.  I can remember virtually every detail.  I had on new jeans, which were caked with mud.  I wore my favorite black shirt from Le Chateau (anyone remember that store??? I was shocked to find they still exist).  My hair was freshly dyed.  I was going with two of my favorite boys, too.  I’m pretty sure the one boy’s car-the Notorious Vev-broke down on the way home (or was that a different show?).  Anyway, the point of the story is that pavilion seats on this tour cost $75.  Lawn seats cost $40-a total of $101.70 for two people to attend, once you add the service charges and whatever other BS they tack on.  They’re also playing with Modest Mouse, whom I would really like to see.  However, when you consider we’d need a babysitter (ok, that’s usually free, but it can be a hassle), plus taking off work (it’s on a Wednesday night...I work every Wednesday) and getting there...it’s a bit of an undertaking.  And I’ve already seen REM, a couple of times.  Is it really worth it?  SIGH.  Maybe we should just go to the movies, or better yet, hit the Redbox at the McDonald’s.  I love inflation.


We are going "out" tonight.  G’s place of employment decided against their annual holiday party this year, opting for a bull roast instead.  His place of employment is in White Marsh, however, the bull roast is being held at La Fontaine Bleu in good ol’ downtown Glen Dirty (that’s Glen Burnie, for you non-locals).  Love that.  Previously, they’ve had employee events at the National Aquarium in Baltimore, the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore, etc.  I guess inflation is hurting us all. 


So, I took two hours’ leave tomorrow morning so that I won’t have to get up too early.  G was wanting to have an after party here, since we are close to the classy venue...but I protested.  One, I have to get up early.  Two, that would require cleaning my house some more.  Three, we have three children!  He forgets these things, from time to time.  He also forgets that he has to get up with those three children tomorrow, probably no later than 8am.  If the after party started at 12 midnight, how long do you suppose it would last?  And do you suppose my DH would get up?  Yeah, me neither.


Happy Friday!

No comments: