Friday, April 25, 2008

Crisis and Luxury

Last night was a little more excitement than I bargained for.  We had dinner at Three Brothers, since I'm a slacker housewife and had nothing much in the house to cook.  That was nice, except that Noah had his babyTurrett's going on.  You know, he'd just be sitting in the high chair and he'd throw is napkin, "I dont' WANT this na'kin!"  His has new frog rain boots, which he's been wearing with everything, as I don't have the energy to insist otherwise.  I've learned from MJ that I need to pick my battles, and this is definitely one area that's just not worth it.  Anyway, before the food even arrived, he kicked them off, shouting that he didn't want the boots on anymore.  He shouted for his food;  he wanted a bite of mine...but when I tried to give him a bite he shouted that he didn't want it.He was simply hungry, and probably a bit tired still.  He wanted to eat a bite of my sauce, not my food.  I was supposed to know this.


After dinner, we came home and Cam had to get her shower and get ready for bed...but she complained that she couldn't breathe well and she was wheezing.  She's never actually been diagnosed with athsma, but she does have respiratory distress when her allergies kick in.  After she got in bed, she called me twice to say that she couldn't breathe and she was scared.  I asked her if she needed to go to the doctor right away, and she said yes.  Her lips weren't bluish, and she could hold a coversation, so I was concerned but not terrified.  I didn't need to call an ambulance, but I wasn't going to call for an appointment with Nighttime Peds, either.  We drove to the hospital, amidst many protests from a very scared little girl.


We didn't have to wait too long.  The doctor scolded me for having the house open...I knew it was better for it to be closed, but I really thought it wouldn't affect her so badly.  She does shower before bed every night, and she has a window air conditioner in her room (we have central in the rest of the house).  Not to mention, I'd really love to smell the spring air.  It would also be nice to forego the $300 gas & electric bill for a couple of months.  Anway, they gave her an albuterol nebulizer treatment, and she was much better.  Cam talked non-stop, partially from feeling better and the albuterol making her nervous, and partially because she was so tired.  They sent us home with an inhaler of the same.  In the forever that you have to wait before being discharged, there was a commotion.  Three other children had come in for the same problem (totalling five).  The respiratory therapists were running around like crazy, with kids literally receiving treatments on chairs in the hallway. 


And then there was a two-week-old baby.  He arrived about half an hour before we left.  I heard bits and pieces of his story, and his constant screams.  On my way out to exit admission, I saw his terrified father, standing over his tiny little self, trying to console him.  His mother looked vacant.  The doctor was right outside our room, calling for the helicopter to transfer him-I don't know whether it was to University or Hopkins.  Either way, that little baby was very sick, and I prayed for him and his new family.  I just can't imagine being those parents.  I have had scary situations with my own children, namely Noah, but nothing that comes even close.  It wasn't lost on me that I was walking out of there with my daughter holding my hand, and they were getting ready to put their baby on a helicopter.  I was so thankful that it wasn't me, but so sorry for their plight.


I was glad to see my friend Kim.  She works there, and had seen our name and stopped in to say hi and see what was going on.  I wish she could have chatted with us the entire time, it would have put me more at ease.


Anyway...today we visit our regular doctor.  Might as well take the whole lot of them and make sure they're all ok, since they've all been suffering with the allergies; especially since we're coming up on the weekend.  I guess it would probably be a good idea to play inside today, despite my desire to do otherwise.  I tell myself that this is only temporary, and it is manageable.  The other parents may not have that luxury.

No comments: