Friday, May 2, 2008

Peaceful Surroundings

I went to the park today, because I had to.  I could not sit in this house, and didn't have the will to try to contain my children.  It's funny how as soon as I hear the bay's little baby-waves, my blood pressure drops and I feel my muscles relax.  Collin especially was missing Nanay, G's grandmother who is in the Philippines for three weeks.  She has been going to the park with us, and we have lunch together.  Despite having recently eaten breakfast, the laying down of the mat was signal enough to the boys to want to eat lunch.  They didn't eat much, of course, before they were off and running...fighting over who could put sand in whose bucket, who had which shovel.  Mostly, Noah causes the problem, because, well, he's still two, and does what he wants.  Once in a while, though, Collin will get that look in his eye, and you just know he's about to do something naughty.  I went on my usual comb of the beach in search of my newfound interest: sea glass.  There wasn't much to be had today, as it was still very high tide.  Usually we arrive later, so it has already been deposited on the sand.  It's amazing how much can be found there!  Sometimes I find pieces that are still sharp and shiny, and haven't been frosted by being tossed about in the waves...and I chuck them back into the water so that it can do its magic.  I don't know why the little pieces of once-hazardous waste interest me, but they're pretty, and they're fairly rare, in these times of plastic. 


All too soon, it was time for us to go.  I had a doctor's appointment, so we had to leave earlier than we normally might.  That was ok...the boys were tired by then, although at least one of them refused a nap.  If we'd had a little longer ride home, they'd both have been asleep in the car.


It's nice to have a peaceful day.

No comments: