Monday, May 5, 2008

By the Water

I finally got all three of my kids to the beach (that's the local beach at Downs Park, of course) at the same time.  They had so much fun, and were so busy.  They ran back and forth a million times, collecting sticks, building stick "houses".  Cameron met a girl from Germany who had eczema worse than she does.  We were free and carefree, the way it should be...at least most of the time.  I used to feel like that a lot with them, at various stages in my life.  Sometimes when it was only Cameron, sometimes when it was just Cameron and Collin, and finally all three after Noah was born.  I don't know what happened after that-I lost some of that sense of communion with my children, and I certainly didn't often feel a great four-way connection with them.  Saturday, I felt like it was me and them in the world, and nothing else mattered.  There is freedom in that feeling, and happiness and peace, too.


There must have been a small craft advisory in effect, because the bay was so choppy.   The tide was so high that we couldn't pass the way we usually do to get to the beach, nor could we sit in our usual spot.  It was windy, and as soon as the sun started to dip, it became chilly, too.  The children were beautiful, in that almost-sunset light, and their hair blowing.  I watched the bay change colors from minute to minute, and felt beautiful  myself...simply because of my feelings and surroundings.


The littlest boy showed signs of needing to leave first.  I think he's hypoglycemic or something.  He dug through my insulated bag, which contained only drinks, insisting that I give him something to eat.  I assured him there was no food in the bag.  A couple of times, he even picked up a few pieces of trash off the beach, asking if he could eat them.  I took the opportunity to fill two sand pails full of trash from the beach for us to carry out.  I don't know if it was because of the weekend and increased traffic, or the high tide depositing more than a normal amount of trash, or what...but I know that I don't want to see it next time we go.


Anyway, so we went to Pastore's-I was thinking maybe we could eat dinner for the $15 I had in my pocket.  Did I ever find a deal!  You can actually get an 18" 1 topping pizza for $7.99!  Of course, the drinks were like $2 each, but the boys could share and I didn't want one because I had water in the car.  Ah, but then the children saw the case of cannolis, tiramisu, and cakes.  How can you say no to that?  Actually, our dessert cost more than our dinner.  It was worth it, though, and I didn't have to cook late in the evening.


I see many more days like that in our future this summer.  I see many dinners being eaten there on that beach-cold sandwiches, or maybe some chicken made ahead of time.  It's a shame they don't like salads.  Maybe they will learn what I know to be true...everything tastes better when you're outside, especially by the water.


No comments: