Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Ageless Church (as in, music)



So, last night, I went to see The Church at Ram's Head On Stage. You know, Under the Milky Way...Reptile? Wow. The legendary Marty Willson-Piper is still, well, legendary. The rest of the boys are just as impressive. They rocked like I did not expect. I thought it would be a calm show of ethereal guitar & haunting lyrics. Man, was I wrong! I imagine that any way they play, they're good. It's also fun to sit beside the stage, even though their stage guy's butt was in my face as he switched out guitars. It's a different experience...now I know what pickups and distortion pedals are, rather than just being giddy to see a band. I notice all the goings on, and see the band members as people.

But, you know what, I was somehow shocked by their appearance. Why are they frozen in my mind as they were twenty years ago? Because that's totally what I expected. How could they have aged? I haven't...at least, in my mind. In my mind, I'm still fourteen, sleeping on the porch with my sister in West Ocean City. We would listen to The Church or Peter Murphy or Echo & the Bunnymen all night long. My dreams were the images that the music conjured up, and time slowed in the summer heat. Who knows, maybe the Australians we met at Assateague were the Church...but I doubt Marty Willson-Piper surfs.

On the subject of age, I was very surprised to find that we were among the youngest people in attendance last night. Hard to believe that in twenty MORE years, I might be going to an Andrew Bird (or some such) show, and marveling at the "young" 35-year-olds...and they might marvel how someone as old as me can love that kind of music.

Lastly, why, oh why, have I become a rule-follower? I checked both my e-tickets and my website, and both clearly stated that cameras and recording equipment were not allowed. So, instead of taking my Nikon and getting some fantastic shots, like 80% of the other people, I was left with my crappy cell phone camera. Hmph. I'm such a sheep.

No comments: